When and Where:
Judging the Annual LOUIE Awards, the judging will take place during National Stationery Show / NY Now Winter 2019 from February 5 to February 6.
The LOUIE Awards judging process consists of two rounds rounds of judging during an intensive two-day period.
In this first round, judges are split into two groups. Each group is responsible for judging half of the 1,000+ card entries. The top five scoring cards in each category are then moved into the second round of judging. During the second round, all judges re-score and rank the top 5 cards.
In each judging round, the cards are evaluated based on five criteria:
- Originality | Does this card take a unique approach to design, concept, or execution?
- Impact | Does this card have emotional impact?
- Design Excellence | Is the overall look of this card visually appealing? Did the designer make good choices in typography and artwork arrangement?
- Sendability | Is this card likely to be purchased and sent for the occasion or purpose specified by the category? Are its format and design functional?
- Value | Is this card priced appropriately based on the overall quality of the product?
The cards are judged on a scale of one to ten. Point range is as follows:
- 1-3 | Below Standard
- 4-6 | Meet Standard
- 7-8 | Exceeds Standard
- 9-10 | Extraordinary
Based on the numerical scores, three finalists will emerge in each category, with one earning the coveted LOUIE Award. Finalists will be announced in mid-February, after which all entrants will be able to access their scores and narrative feedback via their online entry portal.
A Blue Ribbon Panel of five select judges will choose two Cards of the Year from among the category winners in each price break. Winners will be announced at the Annual LOUIE Awards celebration on Sunday, May 19, 2019.