Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits to entering the LOUIEs?
- Please see the Why Enter the LOUIE Awards? page
What are the LOUIEs?
TheLOUIEs are often referred to as the “Oscars" of the greeting card industry. This program celebrates the best and the brightest in the industry by awarding winning cards and companies in over 60 categories.
When are submissions accepted?
- Submissions are accepted from September 5th, 2017 - January 5th, 2018.
When are winners announced?
- Winners are announced live and in person at the LOUIEs Gala on Sunday May 20, 2018. Winners will be announced online the following day.
What are the submission requirements?
- In order to enter your submission, a card must have been marketed or sold in the U.S. during the 2017 calendar year and come from a total combined run of 200 or more (50 or more in the case of Invitations, Announcements, and Photo Cards).
- No samples or prototypes are accepted.
- No cards that have been entered in previous years may be re-entered, except in the category of Rising Star.
How does judging work?
- Judges score each entry from 1 to 10 based on five criteria: originality, impact, design excellence, sendability and value.
- Entrants conceal company information and distinguishing features of cards so that the judging is as fair and unbiased as possible.
How much does it cost to enter the LOUIEs?
- Entry fees are $55 for GCA members and $75 for nonmembers. (Prices increase by $10 for each category after November 3rd, 2017)
- If you are not a GCA member but are interested in becoming one, visit www.greetingcard.org or call 202.216.9627 for more information.
How many cards am I allowed to enter?
- You may enter as many cards as you’d like in as many categories as you wish.
- Any number of cards may be entered in a single category, but only the highest scoring card from a company will be selected as a finalist in each category.
- You may enter the same card in multiple categories, but it will only be eligible for becoming a finalist in the category in which it receives the highest score. The exceptions to this rule are Rising Star, Print and Production Excellence, and Letterpress categories.
What if my wedding invitation suite uses a printing method not listed?
Use your best judgment to decide if the card fits better with the more costly methods listed under Classic or with the less expensive methods under standard. If you can’t determine, contact us to ask for help at 202.216.9627 or email@example.com.
How many samples should I send?
- You only need to send one sample for each card at the time of entry, but we will require 5 more samples if your card is chosen as a finalist.
- Entries to the Rising Star category must include five different cards for a total of 25 cards, and Letterpress must include three different cards for a total of 15.
- If your entry is a boxed set, please send the entire set as sold.
- For wedding invitations, please include the entire suite.
Do I have to do anything to my card samples before sending them?
- Yes! There are several modifications you will need to make to your card submissions. Please see the checklist for card submissions before sending. Cards without logos properly concealed may not be eligible for judging.
What should I include when I send in my entries?
- The envelope and any packaging that is sold with the card.
- The invoice.
- If sending multiple cards, please attach (or fold sheet and insert card into) invoice for each card. Mark or identify which card corresponds with which entry number.
Where should I send my entry samples?
Entries should be sent to: GCA Headquarters, 1444 I (letter I) Street NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20005.
Once I send in my entries, what happens?
GCA staff will code and catalog your entries to get them ready for judging. You do not need to follow up–if there is a discrepancy or question, we will contact you. Finalists will be announced in mid-February!
Can I have an extension on the deadline?
We may be able to accommodate a limited number of deadline extensions. Please contact us to request an extension and let us know the categories you are hoping to enter.
Who should I contact with questions?
If you have a question, please contact us at 202.216.9627 or firstname.lastname@example.org.