Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits to entering the LOUIEs?
- Please see the Benefits of Entering the Louies page
What are the LOUIEs?
The LOUIEs are often referred to as the “Oscars" of the greeting card industry. This program celebrates the best and the brightest in the industry by awarding-winning cards and companies in over 50 categories.
When are submissions accepted?
- Submissions are accepted from November 2, 2020 - February 18, 2021. Card samples must be received no later than March 1, 2021 to be considered for judging.
When are winners announced?
- Winners are announced at the Annual LOUIE Award Celebration. It it yet to be determined whether this event will be in-person, virtual, or hybrid. A press release, Facebook Gallery, Pinterest Board and link to the winners are all available when winners are announced to the public.
What are the submission requirements?
- In order to enter your submission, a card must have been marketed or sold in the U.S. during the 2020 calendar year and come from a total combined run of 200 or more (50 or more in the case of Invitations, Announcements, and Photo Cards).
- No samples or prototypes are accepted.
- No cards that have been entered in previous years may be re-entered, except in the category of Rising Star.
How does judging work?
- Judges score each entry from 1 to 10 based on five criteria: originality, impact, design excellence, sendability, and value.
- Entrants conceal company information and distinguishing features of cards so that the judging is as fair and unbiased as possible.
How many cards am I allowed to enter?
- You may enter as many cards as you’d like in as many categories as you wish.
- Any number of cards may be entered in a single category, but only the highest scoring card from a company will be selected as a finalist in each category.
- You may enter the same card in multiple categories, but it will only be eligible for becoming a finalist in the category in which it receives the highest score. The exceptions to this rule are Rising Star, Print and Production Excellence, and Letterpress categories.
How many samples should I send?
Once you have submitted one or more entries online for judging, you will need to immediately mail four card samples to GCA Headquarters for each entry. Instructions for Mailing Card Samples
For three samples, your company’s information, pricing, and any other identifiable markings must be completely covered. This sample will be used during the “live” judging process.
For the fourth sample, no adjustments/coverings are needed. If your entry is chosen as a finalist, this sample will be photographed and the images will be shared as part of the early promotion of the finalist entries.
Due to our very tight production schedule, we ask that you submit all four samples at the time of entry so that there is no delay in preparing the cards for judging and, if all goes well, promotion of your finalist entry!
See the checklist for card submissions before sending. Cards without logos properly concealed will not be eligible for judging.
Do I have to do anything to my card samples before sending them?
- Yes! There are several modifications required before you mail your samples. See the checklist for card submissions before sending. Cards without logos properly concealed will not be eligible for judging.
What should I include when I send in my entries?
- The envelope and any packaging that is sold with the card.
- The invoice (first page only!)
- If sending samples of multiple entries, please attach (or fold sheet and insert card into) invoice for each entry. Mark or identify which card corresponds with which entry number. See the checklist for card submissions before sending.
Where should I send my entry samples?
Entries should be sent to:
Greeting Card Association
Attn: LOUIE Awards
2851 S. Parker Rd., Suite 1210
Aurora, CO 80014
Once I send in my entries, what happens?
GCA staff will code and catalog your entries to get them ready for judging. You do not need to follow up–if there is a discrepancy or question, we will contact you.
Who should I contact with questions?
If you have a question, please contact us at 202.216.9627 or firstname.lastname@example.org.